In this episode, Sal, Adam & Justin speak with Max Lugavere. Max is a filmmaker, TV personality, health and science journalist and brain food expert. He is the author of the book, Genius Foods: Become Smarter, Happier, and More Productive While Protecting Your Brain For Life (Harper Wave, March 2018) which was just released.
Max has been featured on NBC Nightly News, the Dr. Oz Show, and in The Wall Street Journal. He is a sought-after speaker, invited to lecture at esteemed academic institutions such as the New York Academy of Sciences and Weill Cornell Medicine, has given keynotes at such events as the Biohacker Summit in Stockholm, Sweden. From 2005-2011, Max was a journalist for Al Gore’s Current TV.
You can find Max on Instagram @maxlugavere and at www.maxlugavere.com.
Get a free look at his book at www.geniusfoodsbook.com
Also, check out his video series on Mind Pump TV (YouTube)
- I had a love for storytelling and creating. Max shares his early jobs, working for Al Gore, and how he found his passion for health and psychology. (8:31)
- When the camera is on, you had to be a higher energy version of yourself. Attention is the new limited resource. How to create respect for your audience and to help people with health literacy. (14:52)
- Found potions to make me become a superhero. Max explains his nerdiness growing up, passion for comics and how he found a supplement store that sparked his obsession to be a superhero. (20:34)
- It seems like when I was talking to my mom, I was talking to an elderly person. Max shares the personal story of his mom’s early onset dementia, his call to action and the impact it had on him. (24:00)
- One pill for every ill
- Diagnosis and adios
- Medicine becomes worse than the disease. Max describes the medicine prescribed to his mom and the mind-blowing findings he found while researching them. (34:00)
- My theory was there had to be something related to diet and lifestyle. Ways to protect your brain through prevention, Alzheimer’s disease being type 3 diabetes and how Max went down the research rabbit hole to find answers. (37:13)
- It was hard sell, at first, for my mom. Was there any push back when he started to give her his research and nutrition advice? (45:28)
- Being guilty until proven innocent. Why we don’t need grains in our diet. (49:00)
- Glucose is the brains gasoline. The pros/cons of putting his mom on the ketogenic diet and the struggles he faced along the way. (52:25)
- This is something that young people need to talk about. Practices to implement now to not become a slave to your food. (58:15)
- We have traded acute disease for chronic disease. What is wrong with the current Western Medicine model and how to prevent you from becoming part of the cycle. (1:07:00)
- Nutritional psychology. The importance of teaching the masses this vital information and gives practical methods how to retain it. (1:14:40)
- Our brains have lost volume in comparison to our ancestors. The science of why certain foods are optimal for brain health. (1:17:54)
- Max’s daily food journal. A day in the life of the foods he eats on a daily basis to fuel his brain. (1:23:10)
- The brain is the battery that makes everything possible and we need to protect it. Final thoughts from Max on his new book and how it is written as the “Ultimate guide for dementia prevention.”
Related Links/Products Mentioned:
- Current TV
- The Ketogenic Diet: A Complete Guide for the Dieter and Practitioner - Book by Lyle McDonald
- Cleveland Clinic: Every Life Deserves World Class Care
- Doctors Wasting Over Two-Thirds Of Their Time Doing Paperwork
- Why Do So Many Drugs for Alzheimer's Disease Fail in Development? Time for New Methods and New Practices?
- Dr. Terry Wahls - Minding Your Mitochondria - TED - Documentary, Lecture, Talk NUTRITION
- Vascular Dementia
- Coconut Oil As an Alzheimer's Treatment - Dr. Mary Newport – YouTube
- Brain glucose hypometabolism and oxidative stress in preclinical Alzheimer's disease
- Brain Glucose Hypometabolism, Ketosis, and Alzheimer Disease: From Controversy to Consensus
- Relations between Executive Function and Academic Achievement from Ages 5 to 17 in a Large, Representative National Sample
- Babies of mothers with gestational diabetes have more body fat, scans reveal
- High-intensity interval exercise and cerebrovascular health: curiosity, cause, and consequence
- The World’s Leading Expert on Gluten-Related Disorders, Dr. Alessio Fasano, Sets the Record Straight in His Definitive New Book
- Plant compounds may boost brain function in older adults, study says
- Why Diet is The New Antidepressant on the Block – Diet and Depression
- Ep 725-Mikhaila Peterson's Personal Account of Treating ... - Mind Pump
- The evolution of modern human brain shape
- Folic acid, ageing, depression, and dementia
- B Vitamins and the Brain: Mechanisms, Dose and Efficacy—A Review
- Extra virgin olive oil consumption reduces the risk of osteoporotic fractures in the PREDIMED trial
- Collagen May Help Protect Brain Against Alzheimer's Disease
- Stress and Eating Behaviors
- Can Food be Addictive? Public Health and Policy Implications
- Monetary Costs of Dementia in the United States
Featured Guest/People Mentioned:
Would you like to be coached by Sal, Adam & Justin? You can get 30 days of virtual coaching from them for FREE at www.mindpumpmedia.com.
Get our newest program, MAPS HIIT, an expertly programmed and phased High Intensity Interval Training program designed to maximize fat burn and improve conditioning. Get it at www.mindpumpmedia.com!
Get MAPS Prime, MAPS Anywhere, MAPS Anabolic, MAPS Performance, MAPS Aesthetic, the Butt Builder Blueprint, the Sexy Athlete Mod AND KB4A (The MAPS Super Bundle) packaged together at a substantial DISCOUNT at www.mindpumpmedia.com.
Make EVERY workout better with MAPS Prime, the only pre-workout you need… it is now available at mindpumpmedia.com
Also check out Thrive Market! Thrive Market makes purchasing organic, non-GMO affordable. With prices up to 50% off retail, Thrive Market blows away most conventional, non-organic foods. PLUS, they offer a NO RISK way to get started which includes:
1. One FREE month’s membership
2. $20 Off your first three purchases of $49 or more (That’s $60 off total!)
3. Free shipping on orders of $49 or more
You insure your car but do you insure YOU? If you don’t, and you are the primary breadwinner, you will likely leave your loved ones facing hardship and struggle if you die (harsh reality). Perhaps you think life insurance is expensive, but if you are fit and healthy, you can qualify for approved rates that are truly inexpensive and affordable. To find out if you qualify for the best rates in the industry, go get a quote at www.HealthIQ.com/mindpump
Have Sal, Adam & Justin personally train you via video instruction on our YouTube channel, Mind Pump TV. Be sure to Subscribe for updates.
Get your Kimera Koffee at www.kimerakoffee.com, code "mindpump" for 10% off!
Get Organifi, certified organic greens, protein, probiotics, etc at www.organifi.com Use the code “mindpump” for 20% off.
Go to foursigmatic.com/mindpump and use the discount code “mindpump” for 15% off of your first order of health & energy boosting mushroom products.
Add to the incredible brain enhancing effect of Kimera Koffee with www.brain.fm/mindpump 10 Free sessions! Music for the brain for incredible focus, sleep and naps! Also includes 20% if you purchase!
Please subscribe, rate and review this show! Each week our favorite reviewers are announced on the show and sent Mind Pump T-shirts!
Have questions for Mind Pump? Each Monday on Instagram (@mindpumpmedia) look for the QUAH post and input your question there. (Sal, Adam & Justin will answer as many questions as they can)